Sunday, October 13, 2019

Grace Glides, in Life and Dance

I am not feeling well, but today has been good.

Went to church this morning. A dear friend gave her (amazing) testimony, in which chronic and acute illness play a part. Our pastor gave a powerful sermon to kick off our series on anti-racism and collective liberation. I sat for the songs. Grateful the theatre is set up with some accessible seats this season, minimizing the stairs I need to use to navigate the space.

Spiritual direction is always affirming and beneficial for reflecting and looking forward. Today was sparkly and wonderful. I love seeing how God is present even and especially when I seem to be "stuck."  Don't misunderstand me, I don't think my relapse is "from God." I do not believe POTS symptoms occur because God is trying to tell me something or least of all punish me. Bad things happen. Full stop. It sucks. Yet God is with us in it, suffering alongside. This episode of POTS stinks, but there are seeds of beauty planted here. In my suffering there lies an invitation to explore the depths of my humanity, and in so, to connect to that which is divine. I find so much healing, joy, peace, and self-expression in music, dance, comedy, and film.

I shared this dance on my Facebook, and I'll share it again here. This version is a cover by ortoPilot, but the original song is written by Rob Thomas, whose wife suffers from chronic Lyme disease.

"Her Diamonds" Dance - Miss Donna's School of Dance 
Choreographed by Jana Smith


The arts have always been such a huge part of my life. Watching dance in particular expands my soul and gives my heart freedom to dream of an existence beyond my current circumstances.

Need to lie back down. Wishing you grace that glides on blistered feet.

love,
emma

No comments:

Post a Comment