Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Weekenders

My symptoms don't play nice. Ugh. I had to miss my sister's voice recital because my palpitations were so bad. I really wanted to go out with my family for my mom's birthday, so I went even though I wasn't feeling up to it. Joint pain got really bad, especially my shoulders and neck.

And it kills me how prideful I've become; I try to act like I'm fine. I was less nauseous than usual, but I ate way too much. I didn't want anyone to notice any abnormal behavior, for instance not trying the appetizer or not finishing my piece of cake. Against my better judgment, I didn't even ask to go home early. It's a challenge for me to be sitting up that long. I get fatigued so quickly, and I was already feeling unwell.

Today's been a bummer. The usual suspects.

Oh! I meant to write about a story featured on Oprah today -- a woman suddenly contracted Necrotizing Fasciitis (flesh-eating bacteria), and had to have a mastectomy and her arm amputated. Some of you may know that I had Necrotizing Fasciitis when I was five, along with my chicken pox. I still have lots of chicken pox scars, and a scar on my left hand from the I.V. -- not much compared to what this person has endured. Anyway, I guess it's just one of those things to help keep things in perspective.

with all my limbs,
et

2 comments:

  1. I just read an interesting story about a guy without arms or legs that was trying to get into the cage-fighting circuit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "And it kills me how prideful I've become"
    Yeah, pride is a killer sometimes. Feel free to be honest with us.

    ReplyDelete