Friday, November 1, 2019

Disability Theologians Are Rock Stars

In terms of physical symptoms and limitations, yesterday was a very bad day. Today was a bad day. I stayed in bed all day both days, but today I was in the fetal position a lot less. By evening I was even able to do a little bit of reading... by a disability theologian named Shane Clifton, whom I was introduced to by an Australian religious/spiritual podcast called Soul Search. I don't have much energy left today to go into detail, but he is great, and it's so encouraging to hear he's a part of a progressive (Pentecostal?) church that seeks to give voice to marginalized groups. He suffered a spinal cord injury in 2010 and has been a quadriplegic since. His writing about how disabled people are portrayed in the media (think movies like Million Dollar Baby and Me Before You) is so spot-on and strikes a chord with me.

I think I block out much, maybe even most, of the stupid things people say to me or have said to me over the years, in reference to my POTS. But I vaguely remember someone I went to high school with, upon hearing that I'd been bedridden for four years, gasped and said, "Oh God, I'd literally rather die. That is so f-ing depressing."

I could say a whole lot about that but my brain is tired. Here are the resources if you want to learn more about disability theologian Shane Clifton:

Shane Clifton's website
His book - Crippled Grace
The podcast episode where I first heard of him - Soul Search - his portion begins about 1/2 or 2/3 way through.

peace, friends
et


No comments:

Post a Comment