Sunday, December 1, 2019

Rev. Sarah Heath & Sonderlust

Today it snowed/rained/was gross. I felt terrible. Stayed in bed until almost 3 pm. Sucks.

But I came across this amazing podcast called Sonderlust by Rev. Sarah Heath. She's a lead pastor and church planter in the United Methodist Church (in Southern California)... and a successful author, speaker, and designer... and in her late 30's, never been married, never had kids. And she goes through 52 weeks of trying to overcome sonderlust (the realization that everyone is living different, exciting lives and wishing you lived a life other than your own) and ultimately find happiness. Her best friend challenges her in a few different areas of her life, and she records the highs and lows of this quest for peace.

She has all these amazing guests on to talk about all kinds of things. My favorite episode thus far was Rev. Sarah talking with another 30-something female pastor about the unique and kind of awful situation single clergywomen face when it comes to dating. One of them shared that her would-be-fiancee backed out of proposing (even after asking her parents and friends for their blessing!) because he "just didn't want to be the pastor's husband." Ay karumba!

I think the message that I'm hearing throughout all of Rev. Sarah's journey is that ministry can be terribly isolating and lonely. She's combating a lot of self-doubt as she discusses what it's like to be a "public figure" while clinging to her non-church friends, her BFF's, who, of course, are all married. I went to a meal a couple months ago with some friends and realized when I arrived that I was the "9th wheel" - everyone else brought their spouse/fiancee/significant other. Don't get me wrong, I love them all and am grateful to be in relationship with people in all stages of life. And I'm happily single. But I feel Rev. Sarah's frustration with the clergy/dating combo resonate with me deeply. I am so relieved and comforted that there are other women who are in a similar circumstance. I texted a seminary friend of mine, we should all just get together and have amazing girls' weekends. Kindred spirits across the Methodist connection.

In other news Twixie has discovered chasing her tail. Maybe next time she does it I'll try to record it. :)

peace,
emma

No comments:

Post a Comment