Friday, February 19, 2010

Run To You - The Rocket Summer

Yesterday I had the opportunity to speak at my high school. An area mom with two POTS-suffering children gave the majority of the presentation, educating the nurses, guidance counselors, and social workers about POTS. There are at least eight 8th-12th graders in the district who have already been diagnosed.

I was feeling totally miserable and wasn't sure I'd be able to make it at all, but it was good to be there. The faculty are genuinely concerned for the well-being of the students. I forget how strong a network Stevenson can be.

In terms of my "speaking," it was more along the lines of me talking for a few sentences, getting side-tracked, forgetting what my point was in the first place, and asking for more questions. Mom and Jodi jumped in, which was great. I felt somewhat helpless to suggest how a POTS patient should be treated academically. Teachers can give extensions; schedules can be adjusted, sure. But at what point does a person, CAN a person, choose to leave to focus on their health?

Chronic illness is not my cup of tea. Unless such tea will be thrown into Boston medical schools for researchers and doctors to study and solve. Yeah. Take that, you crumpet-and-doily crowd. Wheah ah de tea POTS?

Anyway, it went well. Exhausted since, but what else is new. Acupuncturist is insisting on a few more visits.

cheers,
emma

No comments:

Post a Comment